…1.There was no word for the color orange until the 1600s. And the name of the color came from the fruit, not the other way around.
2. If you write out every number in full (one, two, three etc) you do not use the letter B until you get to one billion.
3. A ‘moment’ is a measurable time – 1/40th of an hour or about 90 seconds.
4. Checkbook is the longest horizontally symmetrical word in English.
5. The earliest reference to baseball is in Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey from 1798.
6. Icicles used to be called aquabobs.
7. ‘Happy’ is used three times more than ‘sad’ in spoken English.
8. The word to described your cupped hands is ‘gowpen’
9. Eleven percent of the English language is the letter E.
10. ‘Enneacontakaienneagon’ means a shape with 99 sides.